Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My son has a bump on his gum above one of his molars. It

My son has a bump...
My son has a bump on his gum above one of his molars. It does not bleed when he brushes, and he says it hurts mostly at night, although he has been complaining about during dinner today. It is hard almost like a tooth is coming in and appears to be white and pink on the surface. We have his checkup next week. Is this something we should be concerned with?
2/27/2011
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

This very well may simply by a tooth coming in, but many times this can easily be confused with a dental abcess, as they both can appear similarly. The fact that he has pain at night makes me worry that it may be an abcess, since these typically cause pain at night when the person lays down. I suggest that you try to get into the dentist tomorrow for an evaluation. There is no reason to wait until 1 more week b/c if it is an abcess, it needs to be treated soon

Customer:

I'll try and get him in tomorrow. I know that his regulary dentist is off until Tuesday, but if necessary, I'll take him to another ped dentist. Is there anything I should be immediately concerned with if it is an abcess?

DR. ALEX :

Have him rinse with salt water

DR. ALEX :

This will at least keep the area clean until tomorrow

DR. ALEX :

If you have children's ibuprofen, this is good as well to reduce inflammation.

Customer:

Will do. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist