Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a bridge on my 4 front teeth (7,8,9,10) --the work

Customer Question
was done May, 2010--now number 8...
I have a bridge on my 4 front teeth (7,8,9,10) --the work was done May, 2010--now
number 8 is breaking in little pieces underneath and cracking on top--I would like to know if the dentist responsible for replacing the bridge, because my insurance will not pay for new ones if the bridge is not 5 years old. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
2/7/2011
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although there is no specific law that compels your dentist to make restitution in cases of treatment failure, a 9-month life span for a bridge is so egregiously deficient that (in the absence of some accident or traumatic incident) it strongly implies shoddy work quality.

If your dentist has any kind of sense, he will know that some remedy on his part would be far less costly to him than the alternative, which would possibly be defending himself in a court of law or some other adjudicatory process.

You should return to your dentist and confront him with the damage, and give him the opportunity to rectify the damage, which may include re-making the bridge. If he is less than accommodating, you can remind him that, aside from the fact that repair is the morally correct thing to do, that it would be better all around if lawyers don't need to get involved.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist