Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

What can I do to keep gum from sticking to my dentures

Customer Question
(aside from not chewing it)...
What can I do to keep gum from sticking to my dentures (aside from not chewing it)? I only chew nicotine gum. Some 'house-brands' stick more than others. the nicorette brand sticks least, but is very expensive. Also, it doesn't stick everywhere; mostly, directly behind the last molar on the left side.
If I eat something greasy, like peanut butter it takes the gum off. Or I run the denture under cold water and gently scrape with my fingernail.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/6/2011
Dentist: Dr. Alex, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

To keep gum from adhering to your dentures, you must apply a small amount of vaseline to the area of the denture where it tends to stick the most (behind the last molar on the left side). This will create a surface that the gum will not adhere to. You can purchase vaseline in small packets that can easily be placed in your pocket, and I suggest you do this so that when you are out and about, you can easily apply the vaseline before chewing your gum. This is the best way to prevent gum from sticking to your denture. Please click accept. Thanks

Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist