Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can oral infection cause term dizziness and constant runny

Customer Question
Can oral infection cause long...
Can oral infection cause long term dizziness and constant runny nose
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
1/29/2011
Dentist: Dr. Alex, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

Dizziness is due to an inner ear condition, which may be related to an oral infection if the tooth is an upper tooth. The runny nose is unlikely due an oral infection, unless the infection is on an upper tooth as well. So, if you have an infected upper tooth, this could explain the runny nose and dizziness. You should get x-rays of these suspicious teeth and see if any infection exists. If it does, take antibiotics and have the teeth either root canaled again, or extracted. Sometimes the initial root canal will fail, and it may need to be done again. Keep in mind that the success of root canals go down when they are redone, so sometimes it is better to extract the tooth. This will for sure get rid of the infection. After this, you may see a significant improvement in your nose and ear conditions. If you have questions, please ask. Please click accept. Thanks

The root canal and extraction was done on a lower back tooth. The tooth next to that one was cracked(due to decay) and shaved down and a crown was put on it. None of this work alleviated any of my dizziness or salty metallic taste. By the way, what is leukoplakia, and how is it treated?
Leukoplakia is a condition in involving thick white patches on your gums, the insides of your cheeks, the bottom of your mouth and, occassionally, your tongue.
The cause of leukoplakia is unknown, but tobacco is considered to be the main culprit in its development.
Leukoplakia usually isn't dangerous, and most leukoplakia patches are benign. A very small percentage show early signs of cancer, and many cancers of the mouth occur next to areas of leukoplakia. For that reason, it's best to consult with your dentist if you have unusual changes in your mouth.
For most people, stopping tobacco use will clear up the condition. If this isn't effective, then your dentist may remove these patches with a scalpel or laser.
Please click accept. Thanks
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist