Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My left front tooth is severely aching. It's a throbbing pain

that feels relieved (a little...
My left front tooth is severely aching. It's a throbbing pain that feels relieved (a little bit) if I press on it from the front. I can also feel major pain if i press on the skin part between my nose and my lip and even when I press on my upper gums (the soft part above the hard part of the gums), then there's an intense pain that feels like I hit a vein or nerve connected to that tooth. At any moment in the day, the pain can spread to the other front tooth. I've always had sensitive teeth and am using sensitive teeth toothpaste (for a while now), but this pain just started this week. I've noticed before that if I pressed on that gum area, my teeth would hurt also. It's the type of pain that brings you to tears and could possibly cause me to see black from such immense pain. If I press on that gum area long enough, it feels like my teeth goes numb and I can feel only mild pain in the tooth if I rub my tongue over her. Then when I remove my finger from the gum (after about 2 minutes), it feels like blood gushes back into the tooth and a flash of pain goes to the tooth as well. And then it plateaus to the same throbbing pain. I'm not sure if it's due to any lack of nutrients, but it's only 1 tooth with the throbbing pain.
1/25/2011
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

Welcome to JustAnswer

Your description is strongly suggestive of an infection, brought about by either an injury to the pulp of the tooth, a fractured root, or a periodontitis (gum infection).

Although your diagnostic technique shows initiative, a more formal and useful protocol would be to visit your dentist so that the tooth can be visually examined and x-rays taken. The information acquired this way will determine whether root canal therapy or some other remedial action should be taken.

Hope this helps.

I've already had x-rays done on my teeth when the initial pain started (although I didn't take any initiative to ask about it), but the dentist didn't see anything out of the norm. And can an infection only affect ONE tooth?
Although there is always a possibility that more than one tooth may be infected, it is unlikely that the onset of pain from two separate teeth would be simultaneous. If the source of the infection is periodontal (i.e., in the gum tissue), this is a moot point, because it is not (strictly speaking) in a tooth, but rather in the gum and bone tissue that surrounds the roots of the teeth.

X-rays are only part of the diagnostic picture. In the beginning stages of dental infection, there are often no conspicuous signs of it on an x-ray, so the radiographic picture must be supplemented by other diagnostic tests that will be performed by your dentist. In light of the recent onset of more severe pain, you should return to your dentist for this purpose. If he is unable to determine the source of the problem, he will probably choose to refer you to an endodontist for further diagnostic testing.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist