Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had one of my tooth removed and a temporary bridge put in

Customer Question

I had one of my tooth removed and a temporary bridge put in until the real one is completed. After the procedure I never received any medication what so ever they only told me to stick with cold things like yogurt and icecream and rinse with salt water. I was still in pain after the procedure really bad so on Tuesday I went back to the same dentist for the pain and my temp bridge came out. The dentist numb my gum again to put my bridge and it was too high. Since my gums were numb I didnt notice it till I got home. I was still in pain from 1-10 my pain was a 10 plus. What was done wrong I took Aleve but that didn't do anything.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Looks like you have Dry Socket. In this condition,there is excruciating pain and the extraction socket does not heal on time, with a gaping hole is seen for a few weeks.

You could consider a stronger analgesic like Ketorolac, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorolac at

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html

Im sorry, but for Dry Sockets, patience is the key.

When you do visit your dentist, have a zinc-oxide eugenol based dressing placed in your extraction socket. This would have to be reviewed periodically and changed if required.

I will suggest the temp bridge is not put till the pain subsides.

See this resource for more information :

http://www.drbunn.com/faq/3rds#instructions

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information
.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I was wondering if I should have been giving any type of medication after the procedure?

Thanks for responding.

Yes, it would have helped to reduce the pain somewhat if you would have been given analgesics after the procedure.

However, neither can a dry socket be predicted or prevented.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I had an infection I was told that I should have been given penacillen is that true since they took my tooth out. I felt it weird that since they took out my tooth and gave me a bridge I should have got some type of medication
if there was evidence of an infection, then you should have been given an antibiotic like penicillin.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.