Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have toothache and swollen face. Do I put cold or hot to take down the swelling?

I have a toothache. Now...
I have a toothache. Now my face is swollen. I do not have a dentist and was
trying to wait until after Christmas to find one. I am on antibiotics from my Dr.
It just swelled this AM Do I put cold or hot to take down the swelling until I can get to a dentist?
12/24/2010
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble.

Dental infections could come as a result of a variety of different things.Deep tooth decay, a traumatic blow to the tooth and a periodontal (gum) disease are the most common reasons of oral infection.Antibiotic therapy would be be there as an adjunct to control the infection.I would advise you to consult a dentist ASAP or go to an ER as the face is already swollen. You need immediate care for this kind of conditions such as tooth abscess and you should not wait longer for dental appointment. A proper oral examination and radiographic evidence is prudent in your case. This infection could spread throughout your body, so arrange an appointment at the earliest. If the pain is still there, you could take Advil or Motrin. You could go in for warm saline few times in a day.This would reduce the swelling and help with the infection.You could keep an ice pack on the outside of the cheek and i hope that would also help.

Note - DO NOT apply any heat.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
i AM ON ANTIBIOTIC IS THIS WHAT IS NEEDED BEFORE i GET TO THE DENTIST? iT IS cHRISTMAS EVE DAY AND NO ONE IS IN THIER OFFICES SAVE A FEW WHO ARE BOOKED
Thanks for your response!!

The reason i mentioned ASAP or ER - As there could be many reasons for swelling such as carious tooth ( swelling indicates that the infection might have reached the pulp tissue of the tooth ).Without proper oral examination and radiographic evidence, it would be hard to diagnose the exact reason for swelling. Antibiotics could suppress the symptoms,however to a certain extent. After a certain point, even the antibiotics would be ineffective. Unnecessary popping of antibiotics is never recommended.For example - If the swelling is due to tooth abscess, an appropriate treatment has to be taken care in ER room or at the dental office. Antibiotics is only given as adjunct to control the infection.

However, if going to a dentist or ER is not an option at this time, the best i could advise to continue with the antibiotic and painkiller.Along with that, you could go in for warm saline rinses few times in a day. You could keep an ice pack on the outside of the cheek.However, if the conditions worsens viz swelling would not subside or the pain increases, even after following the above instructions,you need to go to ER.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist