Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had a dental abcess in my upper gum/molar area for a

I had a dental abcess in my upper gum/molar area for a couple of years. I recently had the tooth pulled wich was the culprit of the infection. But I still feel pretty bad. I feel pressure in my upper jaw/roof of mouth. I also have a swollen petroid gland in my neck/jaw area as well as a popping ear and sensations in my neck, I also have been coughing up some type of tonsil stones but im pretty sure there not from my tonsils. Lastly I feel like crap and feel tired all of the time and can't sleep very well. I did see a ear nose and throat specialist's Nurse practicioner who put my on anitbiotics and said I had a white blood cell growth from a nasal culture. Either I didn't do a good job explaining my symptoms or she wasn't very knowledgeable. Thank You...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Since how long you have that swollen parotid?
Is that parotid or a lymph node?
Is that swelling present all the time or it comes and goes?
Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, fever, cough, sputum?
Have they done nasoendoscopy and CT scan of sinuses?
Do you have enlarged tonsils?
Any spot of tonsil visible?
I am an ENT doctor and wants to help you.
Regards
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

TheIt gland has been swollen for at least 8 months it is directly in between the ear lobe and jawbone... The swelling is present at all times but does become larger sometimes but never the size of a golfball, more so a marble. No nasal obstruction but I do have fluid trickling in my throat almost all the time that increases when I push on my head/ neck. No fever to speak of but I do have sputum. The fluid that trickles down my throat seems as though it is saliva mixed with something else like a white-ish silvery something that tastes a little funky. I don't think my tonsils are swollen and I've never had a sore throat. They did do the Nasoendoscopy and CT scan but all they said was "no sinus disease but did have a deviated septum" (but there was white blood cell growth from the culture). Thank you for Your Time!!

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 9 years ago.
You are welcome.
Does that parotid swelling increases in size while you are eating?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No...it sure doesn't.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay.

I have few suggestions for you mainly. The most important thing is that any swelling which is there in body present for more than 3 months should be checked by a needle biopsy called FNAC and that is something which you require also. You sinuses are clear but you have fluids in your throat, there is one possibility that you have sinus problem because even with negative CT scan we cannot rule out sinus infection. The other possibility which sounds more likely to me is that all this is caused by your parotid.

There can be some obstruction to the duct of salivary flow through the parotid gland and that can give rise to that swelling which becomes larger sometime to accumulated saliva. The infection in the salivary gland can cause a salty or bad taste in mouth too. The duct of the parotid gland open in mouth near the roof and its inflammation can give you that feeling of pain or pressure in roof of mouth.

I suggest that ask your doctor to do FNAC of the swelling and to get a sialogram done to see the status of the parotid gland duct and gland itself.

Meanwhile take some anti inflammatory like advil and drink plenty of water and use lozengenes. You can suck lemon too to stimulate the gland to make more secretion to clear the duct.

Co amoxiclav is not a best choice for salivary gland and drugs like clindamycin are preffered. Discuss these things with your doctor , he will help you because he is the one knows more about you as he has examined you .

I wish you good luck.

Please click ACCEPT if you found this useful.

Regards

Dr Hasan