Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

What causes, stringy or ropey saliva. Started using Sensodyne

Customer Question
toothpaste and developed this type...
What causes, stringy or ropey saliva. Started using Sensodyne toothpaste and developed this type of saliva. I have had it before with another type of toothpaste, now that I switched to sensodyne, it has returned and my dentist is concerned. What can be recommended.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dental
9/25/2010
Dentist: Dr. Alex, Dentist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Great question, let me help you. There can be many reasons for thick ropey salivas. First, one of the most common reasons is dry mouth, believe it or not. Have a really dry mouth causes your salivary glands to secret a thick, ropey, stringy saliva. Dry mouth can be from medications, being a mouth-breather, history or radiation therapy in the jaw, and many other things. Second, many medications can have this as a side affect, especially antidepressant medication. Thirdly, thick saliva can be a result of dehydration, post nasal drip, allergies, upper respiratory and sinus infections, and diabetes. If you've ever undergone chemotherapy, this can cause ropey saliva also. If you have any of the listed conditions, this would help explain your saliva, however if you do not, and you are certain that it is the toothpaste that is causing your thick saliva, then there either is an ingredient in the toothpaste, or the paste is giving you a dry mouth affect. I suggest that you try Crest Sensitivity b/c it is similar to Sensodyne in that it's great for sensitive teeth, but it may not cause the stringy saliva issue you are having. I hope this helps! Please accept my answer if I've been helpful.
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist