Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

A couple of weeks ago my mouth felt like it was burning. on…

Customer Question
A couple of weeks ago...
A couple of weeks ago my mouth felt like it was burning. on the sides of my tongue I had 3 fingernail size raises that are slightly white with red around them. The doctor thought it looked liked a viral infection
. I was prescribed nystatin. I did it for a few days, and the burning stopped. I stopped the rinse and now days later, it seems fully back again. I am scared it is cancer. How can one tell?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
6/30/2010
Dentist: Dr. Cliff, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Thanks for using JustAnswer. It is very hard to say exactly what is causing the ulcers in your mouth without dong a clinical exam. They can be associated with so many different conditions. If your doctor thought it was viral don't know why the Nystatin worked because it is typically a fungal medicine. These ulcers could be caused from trauma, allergies, viral conditions, and vitamin deficiencies. I would suggest getting an exam with your dentist while these ulcers are present. It probably isn't cancer but could be the development of some underlying problem. Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff