Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Son went to the dentist had a filling done.The dentist gave…

Customer Question
Son went to the dentist...
Son went to the dentist had a filling done.The dentist gave him 2 shots one of which hurt him terribly.now he is in terrible pain.WHat can I do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
6/30/2010
Dentist: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
How long before did he get shots?
is he diagnosed of any other medical condition?
He said 7- 10 and it hurts in the upper jaw in front of where the shots went in
Dear Jacustomer,

I am sorry to know about your son`s symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,it seems that your son`s symptoms are not due to infection,most likely due to inflammation at the shot site(due to the nerve),so I will advise that he takes over the counter motrin or naproxen which will help subside his pain.If it does not ,within 5-6 hrs,then ,he might need to see a physician who can do a physical exam,to rule out infection and the physician will be able to prescribe more stronger pain killers,which will take care of your son`s pain.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

it has been over 5 hours now and I had already known that it was not infected before and believed that the doctor made a mistake in his injection and was hoping you might be able to help me relieve my sons pain..I cannot accept that answer...I am sorry it sounds to me like you would rather not fully understand this situation.
Dentist: Dr. Cliff, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Thanks for using JustAnswer. I will try to help you out. During the injections the needle passes through a muscle and sounds like it passed through some nerves. This caused trauma and pain. The nerve and muscles will have to heal themselves. There is really nothing you can do to fix it. It will just take time for the damage to heal. Only pain medicines and an anti-inflammatory drugs will help relieve the pain. This is a common problem with injections, but will take several days to try and repair itself...Be sure to let your dentist know of your problems that have develop so he will know what is going on. This should be monitored daily by a dentist. He should prescribe your son something that will keep him comfortable until the pain subsides. Thanks Dr. Cliff