Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

5 days ago (on Monday) I had 2 extractions and 2 implants on…

Customer Question
5 days ago (on Monday)...
5 days ago (on Monday) I had 2 extractions and 2 implants on teeth #29 & #31. Both teeth had previous root canals and crowns that failed, leaving rotten tooth fragments. 5 days later, I am still pretty sore. The "pain" is more like a "bruised" feeling than sharp pain, and it is pretty well controlled with ibuprofen every 8 hours or so. It is not a throbbing pain. I do have some minor swelling along the jawline, although it is only noticeable if you are really looking (it was more swollen on day 3). When I run my finger along my jawbone, there is a slight bump below tooth #31 (smaller than a pea) - this bump moves a bit when I rub it. When I press my tongue on the top of tooth #29, there is no pain or soreness at all. However, when I press my tongue on top of tooth #31, I can feel the soreness - the same feeling as if you pushed on a bruise. My question: is this soreness normal? If not, what does this sound like it could be? Should I be concerned? Why am I sore on tooth #31 but not #29?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
6/20/2010
Dentist: Jasleen Bagga, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I would like to ask one question :-

Have you took any antibiotic? If yes, kindly mention the name of the drug?How many days have you took that antibiotic?

Let me know,so that i could help you.

Thanks!!

Amoxicillin 875 MG, twice a day for 5 days (since the evening of the surgery on Monday).

Thanks for your response!!

You could continue with Amoxicillin for another 2 days making the duration of total 7 days of antibiotic intake.You could go in for warm saline rinses or preferably antimicrobial mouth rinse such as Betadine ( 1/1 ) or Chlorhexidine ( 0.12% ) twice daily.Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.Do not play with the extraction site with the tongue or finger as it could lead to severe infection.

At the times, when there is an abscess and the proper precautions are not taken such playing with the extraction socket with finger or tongue, smoking, drinking alcohol etc could delayed in healing which is quite normal.In case, you take all the precautions, taking antibiotic therapy, the healing is usually fast.

I would advise you to wait for another week and follow these precautions. In case, there is no relief, you need to revisit your dentist for the same.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Relist: Incomplete answer.

Thanks for your response!!

Mr ihearphotography, if you wish i would be glad to opt out and let another dentist answer your question.

I could try to summarize what i mentioned and if your are still not satisfied, you could revert and i would be happy to opt out. Kindly make sure that, if you are 100% Satisfied, then only accept the solution.

is this soreness normal? If not, what does this sound like it could be? Should I be concerned? Why am I sore on tooth #31 but not #29?

Yes, this soreness is normal.Usually it would remain for 7 days. Habit plays an important role in healing. If you keep on playing it with tongue or finger, the healing could be delayed and also it could cause infection. This is one of the most important thing that we discuss with every patient that undergoes the same treatment that you went.As of now, you should not be concern. Continue with Amoxicillin for another 2 days. Regarding bump, it could happen certain times. As such, there could be many reasons.Usually use of warm saline rinses and keeping good oral hygiene would resolve that problem.In case, if the problem still remains 5 - 7 days from now, then you need to revisit your dentist for proper oral examination.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.