Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I began to have extremely sensitive teeth and itd isn't just…

Customer Question
I began to have extremely...
I began to have extremely sensitive teeth and itd isn't just one tooth. I had used colgate two in one toothpaste and it made you feel like you had your teeth cleaned (maybe it brushed off the enamal?), sensitive toothpaste and mouthwash didn't help. I started using only hydrogen peroxide because I couldn't tolerat toothpaste,now I can brush some along with it and can tolerate hot and cold foods, but toothpaste starts making my teeth hurt again. I never had a tooth sensitivity before, for over 45 years, except one tooth if I had like a cavity. What is the possible cause of this tooth sensitivity and what hsould I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
6/16/2010
Dentist: Jasleen Bagga, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

There could be many reasons for sensitivity starting from chemical erosion caused by acidic and citrus fruits, mechanical abrasion, occlusion stresses, wasting disease of the tooth like attrition, recession, pocket formation etc.Tooth sensitivity most often occurs in the cervical area of the root.In many cases, professional cleaning ( Scaling and root planing for periodontitis ) removes a thin layer on the root layer ( known as cementum ) resulting in hypersensitivity.However, important factor for reducing or eliminating this hypersensitivity is adequate plaque control but the irony is that hypersensitivity may prevent the plaque control.

There are many agents and techniques that are used for treating the same. These agents do not produce immediate results but have to be used for several days or even weeks which includes cavity varnishe, co2 laser radiations, dentin adhesives, antibacterial agents, resins suspensions,fluoride rinses etc.The use of dentin adhesive to treat the hypersensitivity have gained popularity over the last few years.However these are the treatment in dental office.Certain agents which could be used by patient includes densensitizing toothpaste i.e been approved ADA specially as a medication for desentisizing purpose includes Sensodyne , Thermodent , Crest sensitivity protection , denquel , promise, protect.You may go in for any of these as these are specially formulated for desensitivity and are well tolerated even by patient who have undergone periodontal surgery. Fluoride rinsing solutions and gels could be used after adequate plaque control and these agents would not be affective unless used continuously for a period of 2 weeks.However, a proper diagnosis is required before a treatment is initiated to rule out any pathological cause of the pain ( caries, pulpitis, cracked tooth etc ) as it has radiating pain.

I would advise you to main optimum oral hygiene, rinsing and flossing along with use of any of the above desensitizing toothpaste and a fluoride mouthwash.The toothpaste is to be kept on all the surface of the teeth for 2 - 5 minutes and thereafter, brushing is initiated. I would also suggest you to visit your dentist for proper diagnosis of the reason for hypersensitivity and removal of the same.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Thankyou for your response. The main question is: Can you brush off the actual enamal on your teeth (I'm 55) and can enamal reform? The second question is the mercury fillings were replaced with porcelin. I chose gold crowns because porcelin I understood was more condusive to hot and cold, however, I didn't have sensitivity until much later. I have already tried the sensitivity toothpaste and floride rinse and it didn't help, only the per oxide followed by baking soda rinse, and now brushing without the toothpaste has helped, which now makes me think maybe I brushed off the enamel and if so will enamel grow back? Out side of this, I have to get dental insurance, because it isn't just one tooth. But- this has gotten 50-60% better, doing what I am doing now. However, I plan still on getting the dental insurance and getting overall checked.

Thanks for your response!!

No, except in certain rare genetic disorders where enamel is too soft, enamel can't be brushed off.Unfortunately, enamel cannot be reformed as it is not a regenerated tissue.

I would suggest to visit your dentist for any underline or associated periodontal disease as these diseases responds well with hydrogen peroxide oral rinse.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.