Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I lost a crown (come off ) over a tooth that has had a root…

Customer Question
I lost a crown (come...
I lost a crown (come off ) over a tooth that has had a root canal... root canal was done about 10 years ago. the crown has been off now for about a month. no pain with it, my dentist said some of the old glue that holds the crown is still sealing the cavity, it broke off even with the gum, no cap can now be installed. HE SAID NO INFECTION IN TOOTH BY XRAY,
FALSE! Only if the angle is correct you may see some bone loss on an x-ray. It is impossible to demonstrate infection with an x-ray as dental radiographs only 'see' hard tissue. They do not see soft tissue or infections. Due to the shadow cast by the root it may also be impossible to see the bone loss. IS THIS TRUE /??? I HAVE BEEN HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS ...LIKE A SINUS INFECTION. HEAD ACKE, AND ECT, COULD THIS OPEN CAVITY WITH NO CAP ON IT BE CAUSING MY PROBLEMS??? AND SHOULD I GET IT PULLED NOW
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2010
Dentist: Jasleen Bagga, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear the trouble.

Bone loss ( even of small amount ) is usually visible in a radiograph. At this age, usually there is a bone loss which should be clearly visible in a radiograph. Bone loss within the limit poses no contraindication for fixation of crown.Even if some portion of the tooth is chipped off, it could be reshaped and reduced for a new crown fixation.There is no need of antibiotic as in your case root canal failure is not indicated.It is usually indicated in the case of sensitivity and most importantly, pain.

As of now, i would suggest you not to get it pulled as there is no symptom of a root canal failure.I would advise you to visit a prosthodontist or take a second opinion from another dentist as the tooth seems to be perfectly fine.

The above mentioned Diagnosis is based on the information you gave to me.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Just wonder if this open socket is causing my sinus proplems. never had sinus problems b/4.... I am takeing amoxicillin 500 mg and mucinex d ..... just wonder if is the tooth... or should i see a med doc for sinus

Thanks for your response!!

There has been few reports where inflammation of the sinus ( sinusitis ) is caused due to infection of dental origin. In these cases, usually upper back teeth are involved.I would advise you to visit the dentist / oral surgeon to detect any dental cause associated with this problem.In case, there is no connection you could proceed the treatment from a general physician.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.