Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

ExpertDentist, My dentist is planing to extract my tooth…

Customer Question
HI ExpertDentist, My dentist is planing...
HI ExpertDentist,
My dentist is planing to extract my tooth since he could not find the roots to do a root
canal work. A second dentist took xray, and also said "this tooth needs root canal".
I would like to save my tooth and hope some dentist with the right microscope may find
the "invisibal roots" to do the work.
what shall I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
6/8/2010
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Dear JACUSTOMER-yy0lj0ke,

Unless the dentist to whom you refer is a specialist, you owe it to yourself to consult with an endodontist. Members of this specialty are far more qualified to locate and treat these hard-to-find canals than the average general dentist.

In my practice, I will refer my patients to an endodontic specialist without hesitation if I believe that there is a chance that root canal therapy might be feasible. Not only will salvage of the tooth provide a more expedient and less expensive treatment path than extraction followed by prosthetic replacement, but it will often provide a superior result.

Your dentist can provide you with a referral to an endodontist, or you may consult the online directory of the American Association of Endodontists.

Hope this helps...