Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a bad taste in my mouth just minutes after I brush my

Customer Question
teeth, use mints or mouth...
I have a bad taste in my mouth just minutes after I brush my teeth, use mints or mouth wash. My girlfriend says that my mouth has almost a metallic smell and taste. Any ideas how to remedy this problem or what it may be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dental
6/1/2010
Dentist: Dr. Cliff, Dentist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Thanks for using JustAnswer. There are many things that cause the metallic taste in your mouth. Just to name a few things that could cause this are the following: Cavities, Mercury poisoning, Poor Oral Hygiene, Tooth Abscess, Postnasal Drip, Gingivitis or Periodontitis, Medications, Heartburn, Gastro- esophageal Reflux, and Copper toxicity. It is very hard to say which may be causing your problem. I suggest a dental exam to see if you have any of these conditions present and then get treatment to stop it. In the mean time, you could mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda with 8 oz. of water and rinse with it. Brush your tongue when you brush your teeth. Be sure you are brushing at least 3 times a day to prevent plaque buildup. Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist