Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

1 can a tooth with calcified roots be treated with a root

Customer Question
canal\ 2 Can a molar broken...
1 can a tooth with calcified roots be treated with a root canal\
2 Can a molar broken at the gumline be restored with a rootcanal
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dental
4/7/2010
Dentist: bpkdds, Dentist replied 7 years ago
bpkdds
bpkdds, Dentist
1) Calcified roots can pose a problem for a root canal. If the root canal is calcified there can be a problem removing the nerve in the tooth as well as widening the root canal with a file so that adequate filling can be done. Endodontist can also use chelating agents such as an EDTA solution which can assist in "softening the tooth" to help a endodontic file to pass.
2) The question you meant to ask is whether a molar broken at the gum line can be restored. The answer depends on the amount of remaining tooth structure and its relation to the surrounding bone. If there is enough structure to rebuild the tooth a root canal may be necessary followed by a core-buildup and crown. If there is inadequate tooth structure to restore the tooth, don't waste your money on a root canal. See your restorative dentist to see if there is adequate tooth structure to restore the tooth and what steps would be involved to do so. Good Luck.
bpkdds
bpkdds, Dentist
Are there surgical options if a calcified root can not be opened apicoectomy
If a root canal fails due to a calcified canal at the apex of a tooth, an apicoectomy may be an option. If the calcified canal is located to a single root of a multi rooted tooth a root amputation may be possible. Although all dentists are able to do root canals, the endodontist is the root canal specialist and the best trained/most experienced to do the procedures.
One last clarification Will add bonus

if he opens the canal and is not able to get through is the apicoectomy possile
If a canal can not be instrumented the dentist may elect to not fill the root canal and just wait to see if the instrumentation that was done was adequate. If the patient does not develop an infection, then the root canal is completed. An apicoectomy is usually more of a last resort type of treatment. Even if a root canal fails (one without a calcified canal) the next option would be retreatment of the root canal. If the second one fails then apicoectomy becomes more of an option. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
bpkdds
bpkdds, Dentist
looks like both canals are calcified and there is an abcess

apicoectomy only option

Apico doesn't sound like a bad choice. Specialists that do that procedure: endodontist and oral surgery. Even though I am an oral surgeon, I tend to leave these to the endodontists (just personal preference).
I looked at xray and there is a canal visable but a little faint Tell you anything
The issue is whether the canal can be instrumented. If it can....root canal. If it can't.....see above questions and answers. Again, go to the pros....endodontists.
bpkdds
bpkdds
bpkdds, Dentist