Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
Experience:  Practicing General Dentist since 2002
16439544

After two root canals on the same tooth, why do I still have

Customer Question

After two root canals on the same tooth, why do I still have pain and sensitivity to cold? My dentist took x-rays and said to let her know if the sensitivity happened again.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Julian Chen replied 7 years ago.
Was the root canal treatment performed by a specialist (endodontist)? And was a specialized magnifying loops used during the root canal treatment process? If the answer to either or both questions is "No," then it is very possible that the dentist may have missed an accessory canal. It is not uncommon for a single root to have multiple canals. And if the tooth in question is a bicuspid/premolar or a molar, which have multiple roots, then the number of possible canals increases, thus increasing the likelihood of missing a canal.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for any of us to make such a diagnosis over the internet. My advice and recommendation is for you to schedule a consultation and get a 2nd opinion with a specialist (endodontist). And if the dentist was already a specialist, then go see another specialist for an evaluation and 2nd opinion.

Sorry I could not be more helpful in resolving your situation. Hopefully the specialist will be able to identify the cause and re-treat the root canal and resolve your pain.

Regards,

Jul***** *****, DDS