How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6021
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My upper back molars are loose, i have been to my dentist 4

This answer was rated:

my upper back molars are loose, i have been to my dentist 4 times for advice. I have been told i have sensitive teeth and receeded gums at the back and this has made teeth worse. Treatment has been dental advice refilling old gaps and putting paste in the gaps but nothing has worked. The last few days i cant eat food or chew at all at the back because of the acute pain. cant see the point of root filling them as they are loose anyway, so what advice please!!
Dear ,

Assuming your narrative is not omitting pertinent information about the guidance provided by your dentist, it would appear that he has failed to address an underlying
periodontal (gum) disease. This approach to dental care is sometimes colorfully characterized as "supervised neglect".

You are correct that placing root fillings in teeth loosened by periodontal disease is not a rational approach; it may already be too late to salvage those teeth, and they may need to be extracted.

Because gum disease tends to affect all the teeth in the mouth to varying degrees, it is certainly not too late to implement treatment for this disorder. However, your dentist's failure to address this issue suggests that you should seek dental care from another dentist; at the very least, you should request a referral to a periodontist (gum specialist).

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thg dentist did say i have the receeding gum problem and i have used sensodyme and other dental products to no avail. treatment given was supposed to save the teeth, her next stage would be the root filling option for the molar.

dentist told me 5 days ago that teeth were stronger but they feel week and unstable to me. the pain obviosly is the nerve saying leave this area alone!

i will speak to the detst about a periodontal referral too, but sounds like

Dear ,

Sensodyne can only provide symptomatic treatment for tooth
sensitivity; it does nothing to treat gum disease, so this issue merits additional treatment.

Did you have another question? It appears your response was prematurely cut off...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you