Dental

Name is 45 male. Had two root canels and 2 crowns on 18 19.

Hi name is ***** *****...
Hi name is ***** ***** male.
Had two root canels and 2 crowns on 18 19.
well they hurt all the time. Dentist finally gave in and made new crowns and replaced them. He realized the lab made the fit pretty bad.
Well the new ones worked great.
Now... Read full answer
Hi name is ***** ***** male.
Well the new ones worked great.
Now the problem. I then had three root canels on 20 21 22 by an endontist.
He then grinded them down after he was done. Well now my 18 and 19 crowns hit hard and hurt again. Went back to dentist and he tried to adjust bite on crown 18 19 with no luck.
He said because I had 20 21 22 grinded it threw my bite off 18 19.
So now I am in pain again on 18 19 What should I do now Help me? Pease
11/20/2009
Dr. Winterholler
Hello, sorry to hear about the discomfort you are having. Are you scheduled to get crowns on #20, 21 and 22? If so, the bite can be corrected and balanced at that time. If not, depending on what the crowns are made of on 18 and 19, they should be adjusted to the point that you are bearing very little load on them. The bite can be shifted so that teeth 20,21 and 22 are carrying more of their "weight." Eventually though, the teeth should all settle down from the root canal therapy and the whole side needs to have a balanced bite. For the immediate discomfort, the only thing you can do at this point is take anti inflammatory medications like motrin and tylenol. Up to 800 mg every 8 hours. I hope this information helps and I would be happy to clarify anything for you.

Well I realy do not have the money to do any crowns on 20 21 22.

So should I have the crowns removed from 18 19. [They are porclean with metal.] and have temporary ones made. or can they grind it down.

They can grind on the crowns, however, depending on the amount of porcelain, it is possible they would grind throught the porcelain and expose the metal. This is not a huge problem, it may however, weaken the porcelain leading to eventual fracture of the porcelain. I would not have the crowns removed and have temps placed. I would rather have them grind on the permanent crown. Even if the porcelain fractured, the metal substructure would be better than a temp. I don't think you gave a time line on the root canals, but root canals can be quite bite sensitive for a little while. The sensitivity can range from a little bit, to unbearable and I don't know where you fall in that range. You may consider giving it some more time to see if it all settles down. If it is in the unbearable range, I would have the bite adjusted further on 18 and 19.

Thank you for your help but all you dentists say give it time.

It is hard to give it time when your teeth hurt. I feel like pulling out all my teeth and putting in dentures.

The 18 19 crowns are hitting very uneven. So do you think that pain could just settle down?

If i have the dentist grind the crowns 18 19 down all the way shoul he grind 20 21 22

and work that side of my mouth until i feel good?

Oh and by the way 24 23 are hitting the roof of my mouth. Should I grnd thse to?

I really do understand. I had a filling done a year ago and for 8 months I wanted to rip it out myself. I will tell you though, it finally calmed down and it feels normal again. Once in a while it bugs me, but I guarantee you that sensitive teeth are better than dentures. Only have the dentist grind on 18 and 19 until there is a balance to all of them or until 18 and 19 are in "hypo-occlusion" meaning they are very slightly out of the bite. That way they still function when you eat, but they aren't being constantly aggravated. Eventually you will probably have some "super eruption" meaning the teeth actually erupt slowly back into the bite and hopefully by that time everything has settled in. Lastly, 23 and 24, you may want to have him adjust them so they don't hit the roof of your mouth. That can't feel very good. Good luck.

Dr. Winterholler

Thanks I will do as you say.

Paul

I hope it works out well for you.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I had a very back tooth removed and the one next to it I had
I had a very back tooth removed and the one next to it I had a root canal and crown done about 10 months ago. A few days ago I woke up in agony. Got to my dentist. She did x-rays and said she didn't s… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Sorry to bother again, but the crown I have is always on my
Hi sorry to bother again, but the crown I have is always on my mind because it hurts.It's tooth 18 all the way in the back. It has been adjusted many times and last time I saw my dentist she said it b… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I have pain whenever I bite down on my new bridge. It's
It's getting worse. The xrays show that there is no issues with the teeth so I don't understand why I can't chew without pain. … read more
Brian D Vancil
Brian D Vancil
Dental Sleep Medicine Mini Residency
Stop searching for answers—
I have a crown that has been bothering me of and on for
I have a crown that has been bothering me of and on for about 6 years. I have had it ground down(not the right term) several times to adjust the bite. now I am told the tooth needs a root canal in the tooth to fix the issue. … read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Went to a new dentist to cap a broken molar. They put on a
Went to a new dentist to cap a broken molar. They put on a temporary cap and when they tried to remove it, they had to use a drill to cut and loosen the temporary. Major ordeal. Then they did some add… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I had two root canals done in May. One on a previous root
I had two root canals done in May. One on a previous root canal where a dentist had missed a canal years ago. It became abssessed. They went thru an old crown fixed it and my dentist fixed the crown. … read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I recently had a root canal and crown, and this past Monday
I recently had a root canal and crown, and this past Monday I went back to my dentist to have my crown adjusted, as my bite was off and causing discomfort. The bite seems better, but I am still having… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Mid-September, I was having teeth pain and was unable to
Mid-September, I was having teeth pain and was unable to identify which of six teeth (3 upper and 3 lower on the left side-minus wisdom teeth) were the culprit. After a dozen visits to the dentist and… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
2 months ago I had three crowns done (two bottom left molars
2 months ago I had three crowns done (two bottom left molars and one upper left molar). Ever since I have been experiencing pain in all of my lower left teeth and my jaw (the jaw pain is worse). About… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Last week my dentist replaced a 15 year old porcelin crown
Last week my dentist replaced a 15 year old porcelin crown in my upper second molar. The old crown was causing a problem with food getting trapped between it and my gum. When I got the new porcelin cr… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
My question is about crowns. This February, after being in
My question is about crowns. This February, after being in pain for 3 weeks, I asked my dentist to do root canal before putting crowns on 2 teeth 28 and 29. He persuaded me that the pain will ago afte… read more
Dr. Dentique
Dr. Dentique
I would prefer an answer from a holistic dentist but if none
Hi. I would prefer an answer from a holistic dentist but if none is available, that's okay. I went to dentist No.1 on 03/29/2012. They took an x-rays and told me that I don't need any fillings but tha… read more
Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana
Stop searching for answers—
Back in 2003 I cracked my #20 tooth in 1/2 on a tootsie roll
Back in 2003 I cracked my #20 tooth in 1/2 on a tootsie roll pop. So my dent at the time did a bridge. When #19 & #21 where shaved/shaped & the temp bridge was put on. I started to experance pain, in … read more
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff
Private General Practice Dentist,
Just had a question related to my insurance not covering a
Just had a question related to my insurance not covering a crown whereas my dentist stated it would be a good preventative measure at this time for the tooth. Trying to guage if the insurance company … read more
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff
Private General Practice Dentist,
I had root canels on 18 and 19 molars. I had pain in 19 and
Hi there, I had root canels on 18 and 19 molars. I had pain in 19 and they did a second root canel. [It seemed to help] I then had crowns put on both teeth. now 2 months later 19 is definitley sensiti… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I am having a permanent crown put on my front tooth (#8).
I am having a permanent crown put on my front tooth (#8). Before the crown was made, the prosthodontist told me that he might to need to make adjustment to my lower teeth -- meaning grinding down my l… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I had a crown put on about 6 weeks ago. It's always been
I had a crown put on about 6 weeks ago. It's always been throbbing after eating for several hours, and also a lot of time besides that. The dentist adjusted it a few times by grinding it down. I think… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I had a root canel on my left side second to last bottom
Hi I had a root canel on my left side second to last bottom molar. I had it done by a endontist. After he was done he put a temporary filling in. I went to my general dentist a week later for crown pr… read more
Dr Rao
Dr Rao
Consulting Dentist,