Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Pain behind ear and eye

I've had ear, behind the...

I've had ear, behind the eye, tooth and serious cheek pain on my right side since May 2009. My family doc thought it was tmj and gave pain meds. The ENT said my hearing was great and I had no fluid in my ear. He took a CAT scan of my right temporal lobe and everything came back normal. My allergist wondered about eustachian tube dysfunction. So, I finally went to the dentist yesterday and through the x-ray discovered that a tooth root was in my right sinus cavity. The sinus had fluid in it so the dentist said to try decongestants to feel better. He thinks this root in my sinus is the cause of the pain rather than tmj especially since I don't wake up in the morning in pain and yawning or chewing doesn't hurt. However, there is a very quiet click on my right jaw if I open my mouth wide enough. I would love another opinion and wonder if the tooth should be extracted.

9/1/2009
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist

Hi.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I am working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What sex (are you) / (is the person you are asking about)?

-How old (are you) / (is the person you are asking about)?

-What (have you) / (has the person you are asking about) already tried?

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/permanent_number.asp

Please identify the tooth with this chart

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

I am the patient and am female. I'm 34 years old. The tooth is number 12, 13 or 14 on the chart. I can't remember which exact one it is and they all hurt. The dentist said the roots don't look infected.

If there is no infection in the 12,13,14 there is no point in extracting the teeth,

the roots most upper teeth 11-16 are most often inside the sinus.

from your above discussion, It does not appear to be a TMJ Pain
A slight clicking may indicate a problem with the TMJ but may not be the cause of this pain.

My suggestion would be to get your teeth checked again, sometimes teeth dont look infected in the x ray but I have a had similar patient whose tooth 14 needed a root canal, and the ENT was going to perform a surgery on his sinus, when the tooth was treated with Root canal treatment he was relieved of his pain,

In that case the x ray showed no infection.

If the dentist says there is a problem with the sinus, and there is fluid there

here is something you can try that will give you lots of relief.
heat a large pot of water,cover it with a lid, bring it to a boil,
put the water in a bucket, or basin (lock the basin)put vicks vaporub in it breath through one nostril and breath out through the other
cover your head with a towel do not allow steam to escape
do this 3-4 times a day, for about (5-7 mins each time)

this is tough to do,

the combination of steam and vicks will relieve any sinus issues if you have any.

please feel free to ask me any follow up questions if you need more info

Dr Girish

Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist