How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6017
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find a dental adhesive that allergic to. I

This answer was rated:

I am trying to find a dental adhesive that I am NOT allergic to. I get this terrible burning on the roof of my mouth and that then turns into little blisters. My dentist does NOT know of any paste for allergies. I am at wits end with these teeth and could use some help, PLEASE. Thanking you in advance, Valerie Matricciani
Dear ,

Please supply additional information:

-how long have you worn upper
-how old is the denture you are wearing?
-do you still get the blisters when you don't use denture adhesive?
-what diagnostic tests have been performed to confirm that you are allergic to denture adhesive?
-please supply the names of some of the denture adhesives you have used
-besides your general dentist, with what kinds of dental specialists have you consulted for this issue?

Answers to ALL these questions will allow me to give a more reliable response.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1. two years
2. Becaquse of so many problems my bridge was rebuilt 2 months ago.
3.I can not wear my bridge without something to hold them in.
4. None
5.Polygrip fixadent .every product on the otc market
6. none
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I answered all of these ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1. From day one I have had problems...I had posts put in, and they either fell out or broke off. I really can't answer your ? because I have been in pain since I got them
2.Except for when I had the post. the blisters started with the paste
3 Completely pink

One other during this whole process of my teeth, I was sticken with Breast Cancer. NO treatments but everything got worst after the cancer
Dear ,

Your case is certainly complex. However, there is more than enough in your general profile to explain an inflammatory eruption in your mouth without assuming that the problem is the adhesive.

I say this because:
  1. I have never in my 33 years of practice either personally witnessed or heard of an allergic reaction to denture adhesives, which are primarily composed of relatively inert ingredients (carboxymethylcellulose, karaya gum, and electrolytes). Granted, recent attention has been focused on the zinc content in these products and the potential for toxicity from it, but this is seldom a problem unless the product is grossly overused-- and even then, toxicity would not manifest as an eruption on the palate. Although allergy to adhesive cannot be totally ruled out, I would consider it to be highly unlikely.
  2. The acrylic of which the denture base is composed is a far more likely allergen, and this should be considered as part of the differential diagnosis. If this is indeed the culprit, your denture can be re-made in another material, such as vinyl or nylon/Flexiplast. However, the most conspicuous aspect of your description is that
  3. Your denture does not stay in place-- otherwise, you wouldn't be using adhesive in the first place. A loose denture can easily explain tissue inflammation-- all kinds of inflammatory lesions can result from an ill-fitting denture (these lesions go by several different names, such as "papillary hyperplasia" or "epulis fissuratum", but they are all due to mechanical irritation of the tissues as the loose denture rubs against the palate.
  4. I'm not sure whether when you say that you had "no treatments", you mean that you haven't treated your breast cancer. However, if I misunderstood you and you have had any type of chemotherapy for your cancer, this can definitely wreak havoc with the lining of your entire digestive tract, INCLUDING your mouth.
I would definitely recommend that you consult with an oral pathologist-- a specialist who is best suited to treating oral inflammatory conditions. He will also be able to assess the quality of your denture (or lack thereof), to determine the degree to which it is contributing to your complaint. He will also be qualified to collborate with the doctors who are treating you for your breast cancer. Your general dentist will be able to assist you with finding one of these specialists, or you can search the directory of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you