Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a very small lump inside my mouth just under my cheek

Customer Question
lining. It hasn't grown...
I have a very small lump inside my mouth just under my cheek lining. It hasn't grown in months. I used to smoke, but haven't in two years. I am 39 years old. What do you think this could be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
7/9/2009
Dentist: Dr. Girish, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Hi, The most common lump on the cheek are due to cheek bites which cause the minor salivary glands in the lips and cheeks to rupture and a condition called mucocele occurs

I think what you have is a mucocele

here are some pictures and links for you

http://www.odontologia-online.com/casos/part/LST/LST06/mucocele2.jpg
http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/oralMucocele.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucocele

Hope this helps

If you have a follow up question I would be happy to help

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
I just looked at the pictures and mine does not look like that. In fact, I can not see it, I can only feel in with my tounge or when I put my finger inside my mouth. It feels like a knot.
please use the reply button,
so yo do not have to pay again,

Yes some times the mucoceles are more superficial and can be seen,
yours must be smaller and a little deeper in the tissue, that is why it cannot be seen,

However this is the most common problem in the cheek,

Your tongue is more sensitive than fingers because of a large number of sensory nerve endings in your tongue

thats why u fee it with your tongue, you may or may not feel it with your fingers if the problem is very small

From your description of the problem there seems to be nothing serious,
however at your next dental check up please make sure to remind the dentist to see it

Best Wishes

Dr Girish

make s
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist