How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Julian Chen Your Own Question
Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Practicing General Dentist since 2002
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Julian Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have read that some glue? have metals inthem like fixodent

Customer Question

i have read that some glue? have metals inthem like fixodent and poligrip can you suggest the best please
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Julian Chen replied 8 years ago.

Are you trying to recement an old crown that recently fell off? Or did a piece of your natural tooth structure broke off and you're trying to glue it back together? Or are you wearing a complete set of dentures and it's not fitting well at all and is very loose?

If it is a crown that came off, you can attempt to "temporarily" recement the crown with an over the counter product available at most pharmacies called "DenTemp". However, if the reason that this crown came loose in the first place was due to recurrent decay, and/or a large piece of the tooth actually broke off with the crown, then there are no cement that is capable of holding the crown in place.

If it is a piece of broken tooth structure that you're hoping to glue back in place, again, nothing reliable is available for you to use safely at home.

Aside from the fact that most attempts at self-repair fail miserably, the biggest fear is the potential harm you could do to the existing tooth structure, and/or the adjacent teeth and gums. The gum tissue is very sensitive to foreign material. Even the cements we use professionally, we have to be very careful and meticulous with their complete removal or else we can cause gum disease, inflammation, and gum infection as a result.

Now if it is your denture that is loose, and that these are relatively old dentures, then instead of globbing on huge amounts of cement, it is better to go see your dentist and have the dentures relined. Once the dentures are relined, they'll have better surface area/contact for retention and adhesives such as fixodent won't be necessary.

But if you're wearing a set of immediate dentures because you just recently had extractions done, then it if often very difficult to have the immediate dentures fit comfortable and provide function. Oftentimes, they're only good for smiling and sometimes, they don't stay in well enough to even let you smile. But until the gums and sockets heal, we can only do our best to make do with what it is. Once the tissue heals from the extraction, then a more permanent reline can be made to make the dentures fit better. In the meantime, Fixodent would be your best bet.


Jul***** *****, DDS