Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a toothache under a crown. What should I do until

Customer Question
I have a toothache under...
I have a toothache under a crown. What should I do until Monday when the dentist is open?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/8/2009
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Dear ,

Dentists are legally obligated to provide continuous access to
emergency care for their patients of record. Assuming your dentist lives up to that obligation, you should contact his office by phone to see if his answering service can refer you to another dentist who is providing coverage for emergencies.

Failing that, you have three additional options:
1. seek palliative care at an emergency room or acute care facility (some of these have dentists on call for emergencies);
2. cold call an oral surgeon in your community (oral surgeons are typically more accommodating for emergency walk-ins than general dentists); or
3. an effective pain-relief regimen consists of alternating between taking 400 milligrams of Advil and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen every three hours.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist