How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6015
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a toothache under a crown. What should I do until Monday

Customer Question

I have a toothache under a crown. What should I do until Monday when the dentist is open?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 8 years ago.
Dear ,

Dentists are legally obligated to provide continuous access to
emergency care for their patients of record. Assuming your dentist lives up to that obligation, you should contact his office by phone to see if his answering service can refer you to another dentist who is providing coverage for emergencies.

Failing that, you have three additional options:
1. seek palliative care at an emergency room or acute care facility (some of these have dentists on call for emergencies);
2. cold call an oral surgeon in your community (oral surgeons are typically more accommodating for emergency walk-ins than general dentists); or
3. an effective pain-relief regimen consists of alternating between taking 400 milligrams of Advil and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen every three hours.

Hope this helps...

Related Dental Questions