How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Rao Your Own Question
Dr Rao
Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 409
Experience:  General Dentist , Private practice since past 6 years.........
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr Rao is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does it take from the time a nerve in your tooth is

Customer Question

How long does it take from the time a nerve in your tooth is exposed till the time it becomes necrotic, Is there a way to SPEED up the process of making a tooth necrotic. Also can an extraction be done without any sedation at all if the tooth is necrotic?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 8 years ago.

The time required for an exposed pulp/nerve to get necrosed can vary from days to months.It is a very speculative subject and depends upon various factors ,which include - oral hygiene,presence of infection,the patients immune response,etc.

It is not possible to predict the time required for a tooth nerve to necrose.

However,an exposed nerve could be very sensitive and painful .This condition would generally require root canal treatment .

Anaesthesia would be required to remove a tooth,even though it has a necrotic nerve tissue inside.
This is due to the fact that a tooth is attached to the underlying bone ,by means of highly specialised tissue called the Periodontal Ligaments.These ligaments along with your alveolar bone are responsible for holding the tooth in its position.
To remove the tooth you would have to rupture /tear these ligaments.If done without anaesthesia,this could be a very painful procedure.
In short a tooth needs to be numbed before extraction/removal.

Hope this answers your question,please let me know if you have any doubts...............
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 8 years ago.

If you are allergic to local anaesthetic agents,you can cconsider getting the work done under general anaesthesia{if that is possible}.

You need to consult your primary care provider to help you find a solution for this problem.

You can undergo dental treatment in a Hospital setting where ,emergency medical treatment can be provided,if required.

A co-ordinated and careful approach,by your dentist and your doctor and the anaesthetist, would be required to solve your dental problems.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am hyper sensitve to all kinds of meds. I had 2 prev. extractions and with the 1st one came convulsions and the 2nd time convusions as well i had novacane and carbocane. one one time and one the other. Sence that day i have had chest pains and my doctor says it was most likely caused by the allergic reaction to the drugs and has casued ireversable damage to my heart thus causing the chest pains i have every single day of my life now. I am not scared of the dentist i am scared of the drugs. I need to have this and one or two others extracted but need to find someway to do this without sedation. Is there ANY way to have this done without any type of sedation. As i was told that the next time could very well kill me.
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the added information.

It is impossible ,in my opinion, to perform a dental extraction/surgery,without any kind of sedation.

It is quite possible that you are allergic to certain medications.

However,there are various types of anaesthetic agents that are being used and it is likely that you are not allergic to all of them.

You would have to find out which drugs /medications you are allergic to.You can visit your doctor ,who could help you in finding this .An Allergist would be able to help you.

You can also consider getting dental treatment performed in a hospital that provides emergency medical treatment,in case there is an allergic reaction.
You can also consider visiting an Oral Surgeon.An experienced Oral surgeon can perform these extractions ,in a hospital setup.
Alternatively ,you can consider visiting a dental University,where a comprehensive dental treatment can be performed.A Dental University Would have an in house doctor,anaesthetist and dentist always available and a co-ordinated treatment can thus be performed.

You can visit an Allergist to find out which drugs and medications you need to avoid.