Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Dentist has just told me there is a shadow on a dental x ray

Customer Question
above a right pre molar...
dentist has just told me there is a shadow on a dental x ray above a right pre molar and he does not know what it is? Is it likely to be something serious?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
3/24/2009
Dentist: Dr. John, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Dentist

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question and for choosing justanswer.com

NO. It is not likely to be something serious.

"Shadows" at the top (apex) of a tooth's root is almost invariably an abscess. Ocasionally it may be a cyst.

What has your dentist recommended?

Dr. John BDS PhD

The dentist has recommended sending the x ray to a consultant. This is what worried me as he seemed unable to read the x ray himself and diagnose what the shadow might be, leading me to suppose that it might be an oral cancer. He was rather uncommunicative and not very reassuring.This is a new dental practice for me as my previous dental surgeon retired. I have never smoked and do not drink and have had no dental problems in the past.

Thank youCustomer

I can only repeat my previous answer, this is nothing to concern yourself with.

At worse, this is a cyst that may need removal. It will not be cancer. Cancer does not present like this.

Please stop worrying about this, it is a routine dental problem.

* If you found my answer helpful, please press the "ACCEPT" button.

* Positive feedback is always appreciated.

* If for any reason you have a further question related to this answer, please contact me.

Good luck and my very best wishes,

Dr. John BDS PhD

Dr. John
Dr. John, Dentist
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Dentist