Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My doctor prescribed me azithromycin for a toothache how

Customer Question
many days does it take...
my doctor prescribed me azithromycin for a toothache how many days does it take before it actually starts to work i am in horrific pain i can't eat or sleep and i have taken alot of pain pills just so i can sleep for an hour to wake up to it throbbing again i don't have a cavity so im not sure where the pain is coming from please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
3/21/2009
Dentist: Julian Chen, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
HiCustomer

Antibiotics will usually take about 48-72 hours before the patient starts to feel some relief from their dental infection. However, Azithromycin is not ideal for dental infections so it may take longer.

You note that you don't have a cavity. What was your dentist's diagnosis of the situation to warrant antibiotics? Did he/she note that you are suffering from a localized gum infection? Do you see/feel an abscess in the affected area and notice any swelling?

Are you also allergic to Penicillin? Because normally, Amoxicillin 500mg would be the antibiotic of choice for dental infections. And for those allergic to Penicillin, Clindamycin 300mg would be the next in line for recommended antibiotic regimen.

In any case, you're already taking hydrocodone and if that's not working, unfortunately I don't have any better suggestion for you at this time.

I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from pain and I hope you feel better soon.

Regards,

Dr. Chen
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist