Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Is Cefprozil a good anti biotic good for an absessed tooth?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
3/3/2009
Dentist: Dr. George McKee, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. George McKee

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Cefprozil is a semi-synthetic broad-spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic. It is a very strong antibiotic and is normally used if a regular strength antibiotics doesn't work. This should reduce the infection in your case but it would be better if you went on a traditional antibiotic such as Amoxicillin or Erythromycin first as these would most likely do the trick as well. Routinely taking an extra strength antibiotic as a first choice exposes you to the situation that you can become allergic to it and would no longer be able to take it, especially in a situation where you really needed it to combat a bacteria that is not responding to the traditional antibiotics. In our modern society, the over use of antibiotics, especially the stronger ones, has caused a dilemma in that the bacteria that cause infections are becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics. There are many "super bugs" causing problems in hospitals these days and a serious infection by one of these virulent bacteria is virtually untreatable.

So try to get a hold of some less potent antibiotics to treat this infection as you are essentially trying to kill a mosquito with a cannonball.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist