How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6017
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would cause my tongue to split and feel sore and red? I

Resolved Question:

What would cause my tongue to split and feel sore and red? I was just at the dentist last week, he said i have a dry tongue and asked me if i was eating a lot of citrus, which i was recently. he gave me some kind of salve to put on and a dry mouth rinse. I don't think i had the split when i saw him, it just developed. I am not a smoker nor drinker.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 8 years ago.
Dear ,

There are a wide variety of different disorders that could present with the symptoms you describe. It is true that xerostomia (dry mouth) can cause a sensation of burning and irritation of the tongue, but it is only one of many different causes. In fact, you could fill an oral pathology textbook with mucous membrane disorders that present as glossodynia (tongue burning). Among the more common disorders are transient lingual papillitis, benign migratory glossitis, candidiasis (yeast
infection), lichen planus, lichenoid reaction, and pemphigoid. There are many others as well.

If your tongue soreness has persisted for more than two weeks, it should be properly diagnosed. For that purpose, the best type of doctor to visit would be an oral pathologist. Your dentist may be able to provide a referral to a local oral pathologist; alternately, you may be able to find one near to you at the web site of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology:

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you