Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

What to do to stop pain from an exposed nerve. the tooth has

Customer Question
broken off in the gum...
what to do to stop pain from an exposed nerve. the tooth has broken off in the gum in a lot of pain cant get to dentist until pain is gone please help me
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/23/2009
Dentist: Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery replied 8 years ago
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery

Hello and Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort.

Start with analgesic Tablet Ketorolac, which would bring about adequate pain relief.Read more about this drug here:

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html

Other than taking analgesics you can try the following remedies at home which will help you:

1) You can apply toothache drop available at any pharmacy nearby you.

2) Application of Clove Oil to the aching tooth is best to reduce pain. Clove oil contains eugenol which is very soothing to the exposed tooth. Place a drop or two on cotton pellet and place it on the tooth hole.

3) Ice pack can also help in providing relief.You can wrap some ice in a clean towel and apply it from outside. It will help in calming the agitated nerve endings.

4) Other than this you can also to the following at home- start rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution-- dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate without burning the mouth, and rinse for two minutes every four hours, this will provide relief to irritated gums, it will also serve as a counter-irritant to help reduce pain.

Avoid eating, hot, spicy and hard food. Don’t brush hard or chew hard foods from that area.Keep that area as clean as possible.

5) Use mouth rinse/mouthwash such as Colgate periogard which is an broad spectrum antimicrobial agent. Use it twice daily after brushing (morning and before going to bed).

Read more about it here:

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Products/FromTheDentist/PerioGardAntimicrobial.cvsp

6)Try using special toothpastes instead of normal tooth pastes called sensitivity toothpaste like Sensodyne or Duraphat. They are over the counter toothpastes. Use it daily with warm water (don’t use hot water) to brush your teeth. These tooth pastes contain special components which block the dentinal tubules (on teeth) that cause pain and provide relief.

I hope this helps!

Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it in detail.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.

Your positive feedback is also important to me!

Take care!! I wish you well.

Thanks

-

Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery