Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I was told I have some 6mm periodontal pockets which had

I was told I have some 6mm periodontal pockets which had been only 3mm 6 months ago. I am advised to brush and floss, which I already did all the time. So what can I do in addition to save my teeth. I am a 52 year old female in excellent health.
Dear ,

Periodontal pocket depth is just one of many parameters that are assessed in delineating the severity of
periodontal disease. Other factors include tissue contour, tissue consistency, tissue color, tendency to bleeding, tooth mobility, and the rate of change of these collective parameters. In short, pocket depth alone is insufficient to derive a true picture of what is going on.

However, the rapid advance of pocket depth over a short 6 month period suggests a significant disease severity, which would argue for more aggressive treatment. Although brushing, flossing, and other oral hygiene modalities are the cornerstone of periodontal therapy, severe disease requires more. If you are not under the care of a periodontist (gum specialist), you should consider requesting a referral to a periodontist from your general dentist. Exactly what form your treatment will take will depend on the specifics of your case, but I do believe that your case would be better managed in the context of a specialty rather than a general practice.

Hope this helps...