Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can I take cipro for a gum infection?

Customer Question
Can I take cipro for a gum infection?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dental
2/3/2009
Dentist: Dr. George McKee, Dentist replied 8 years ago
Dr. George McKee

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Cipro is one of the antibiotics that we usually prescribe for a dental related infection. Keep in mind, that although it will reduce the pain and swelling of the infection, that it will not cure the source of the problem. Antibiotics treat the symptoms of a problem, The source of the problem, deep seated tartar build up and bacteria lodged deep into a gum pocket, need to be removed in order for the infection to go away. You will need to see you dentist for this. Otherwise, the infection will return as soon as you stop taking the antibiotics.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist