Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

How does it take for a tooth abscess to spread to you

How long does it take for a tooth abscess to spread to you brain?? what are the symptoms it's something serious??

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

A tooth abcess will not spread to the brain for all practical purposes.

For this to happen, the infection from the tooth has to escape from the root, break through the bone, enter a blood vessel and enter the brain through the blood brain barrier which is too far fetched.

In todays era of antibiotics, the most that a tooth infection can cause is a massive facial swelling. Even infection of bone as such (osteomyelitis) is becoming rare.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any home remedies i can try to help relieve my pain? i've been taking advil constantly and i know it's not good.

so i am not likey going to just develop a brain abscess in a week from my tooth?

thank you very much.

Thanks for responding.

Yes, you definitely wont develop a brain abcess in a week.

Home remdies for pain control:

1.Start analgesic medication like Ketorolac, which is a stronger analgesic, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorolac at

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html

2.If your tooth has a hole in it, try the “Toothache Drops” are available at your pharmacy and do not require a prescription. they contain clove oil which is very soothing to a tooth. Place 2 drops on a pellet of cotton and place the pellet in the tooth for some time.

3. If there is a swelling inside the mouth ,try rinsing frequently with hot salt water. Prepare this by dissolving ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. Do not make it too hot, or your mouth wont be able to tolerate it.The heat from this water will soften the tissue that forms the wall of the swelling, and promote the chances of drainage. IF successful, it can cause the abcess to burst, greatly relieving your discomfort.

I also understand that you are looking for affordable avenues for dental treatment:

I suggest the following avenues to you:

1. Try to contact the local dental society in your area and see if there are any charitable organizations or foundations that will do your treatment for a reduced fee.

You can find the contact information of your local dental society by visiting :

http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/local.asp

2. Consider getting treatment from a dental school near you . The charges are
lesser than those charged by a private practioner.

Here is a link with the list of all the dental schools in the USA:

http://www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html

3.You may want to look into a dental discount plan. I know this helps many people that don't qualify for health insurance, or are underinsured. This is an immediate benefits plan, so the advantage is that so you wouldn't have to wait a whole year to get the dental work you need. The name of the company is AmeriPlan and their plan is called dental plus. It's $19.95 a month and you receive up to 80% off on all dental procedures. This would cover you and your entire family too !!!

You can look at this website and see if this is something that can help you :

www.mybenefitsplus.com/dare2dream

4. Here is a website that lists dental offices that offer free and discounted clinics all across the country. Search for one in your area. Read each listing carefully as restrictions apply to some of the listed outlets.

http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/

5. Other than these options, you can always look for an compassionate dentist in your city, who will help you by taking a smaller remuneration for his work.

Try talking to your friends, family and colleagues about their past dental experiences with their dentists.This will help you to find the right person for you.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.