Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a sensitive tooth pain that won`t go away. It is

always going and coming. I...
I have a sensitive tooth pain that won`t go away. It is always going and coming. I can`t sleep at night. I was seen by my dentist and was told that I do not have a bad tooth just a sensitive tooth and should use a special tooth past, the right side of my face is very painful, also having a bad headach. I have use orajel nto no avail. what should I do?
1/5/2009
Dr. George McKee

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

If you can not get this constant sensitvity to go away using the root de-sensitizing medications, you can always have a root canal done on the tooth and be rid of the pain for good. Although technically the nerve is not dead it is extremely inflamed and eventuially will progress to situation that will need a root canal if you can not get the sensitivity to go away. There is nothing wrong with doing a pre-emptive root canal at this stage in the game and not have to put with the discomfort and headaches for several more weeks, when you will have to have a root canal. Your dentist needs to think a bit out of the box on this one and be comfortable starting a root canal now and put the patient's needs before the protocols in the textbooks.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely,

George McKee DDS

Dr. George McKee

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I WILL VISIT MY DENTIST AGAIN AND EXPLAIN THE SATUATION. I DID NOT KNOW THAT THERE IS A MEDICATION FOR THIS PROBLEM. CAN IT BE BOUGHT OVER THE COUNTER, OR I NEED A PRISCRIPTION FROM THE DENTIST.THE PAIN ALWAYS GETS WORST WHEN I DRINK ENERGY DRINK.THANKS AGAIN.

DearCustomer,
You can try Sensodyne toothpaste which is specifically designed for this problem. Use it for at least a week. There are other products that your dentist has that he can apply to the root surfeces as well. Give these options a try before committing to a root canal. I hope this helps.
Sincerely, *****
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist