Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

Xrays show bone growth near the root of my right lower

xrays show bone growth near the root of my right lower canine. xrays from 5 years ago show it just beginning to form. it is big enough now that it has moved the canine. what could this possibly be?

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

You say a bone growth. Can you feel a "bump" of bone on either the inside gum below your canine or on the outside gum below your canine?

Or, is this something that is only visible on an X-ray? If so, is the spot that you see on the X-ray a dark spot or a white spot, that is, a lighter spot than the surrounding bone?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i think i feel the bottom of the canine root on the outside of the gum as the canine is almost horizontal. i don't feel anything else on either side of it. the x-ray was a white spot. my orthodontist thought it might be new bone growth? it looks similar to the surrounding bone, but is cone shaped.
I forgot to mention that i had several cysts removed from my upper gum line in 2003/2004. I was told these formed due to trauma to the area when I fell and broke an upper front tooth.

Dear ,

Thanks for that additional information.

A white spot on an X-ray indicates that the density of the bone is increasing. This is not a cancer or growth or tumor. Cysts, tumors and lesions that physically move teeth are dark colored on and X-ray. This is because the bone has been replaced with the tissue of the tumor or cyst.

The most common white spots are called idiopathic osteoscleroses, which are benign and have no known source. Other white spots in bone can be a result of a tooth infection and are called condensing osteitis and are usually located at the tips of a tooth root.

SInce yours seems to be near the root tip of your canine, this is what you most likely have. Here is a link with picture to give you more information about this condition.

http://www.zhub.com/pathology/listings/58.html

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does it seem reasonable that it would take 4 - 5 years for this to manifest? And that it is moving teeth? If it is removed, will it grow back? will the chemo drugs i took affect treatment?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
then it may be a tumor? or growth? that is pushing the root up and over? i'm confused now.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the root of the tooth has moved up and out, causing the exposed part to tilt inward and down. It is very obvious. I've poked around and noticed that the tooth next to it (where the growth is between) has it's root seemingly moving out but the exposed part of the tooth has not moved. I'm not sure what you mean my impacted or erupted... the root has not yet broken the skin