Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have bones growing inside my mouth in my lower jaw and the

Customer Question
dentist told me they were...
I have bones growing inside my mouth in my lower jaw and the dentist told me they were called taurii and that if I ever needed dentures they would have to saw them off because they are huge, and now I'm getting a round hard spot on the roof of my mouth, is that the same thing? All this stuff in my mouth is really getting on my nerves and I'm wondering if the doctor will think it is just cosmetic to have it all removed.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
11/19/2008
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 9 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Dear ,

Although a reliable diagnosis cannot be made with certainty without seeing you personally, you are most probably correct--the most common location for bony exostoses in the mouth are on the inward-facing surfaces of the lower jaw in the
premolar area ("torus mandibularis") and in the midline of the hard palate ("torus palatinus"). You can see photos of tori here:

http://www.ghorayeb.com/TorusPalatinus.html

Although it is sometimes necessary to surgically remove tori in order to facilitate denture construction, it is often possible to re-design the denture as an alternative to the surgical route. Seldom is it necessary to remove tori for cosmetic purposes, because tori are usually not visible unless a conscious effort is made to display them. However, you may choose to have your tori removed if you believe you would be more comfortable without them.

Hope this helps...
if I contact an oral surgeon and tell him I want to have all my tori removed, will he try to talk me out of it?
Dear ,

Oral surgeons are not typically known for turning down lucrative procedures, so I think that if you really want your tori removed, most surgeons would be happy to oblige. However, your surgeon will most likely describe the potential risks entailed in the procedure (e.g., postoperative
pain, swelling, bleeding, difficult eating, etc.) in the interest of obtaining informed consent. There are certain issues that may or may not be related to your general health profile that may increase the risk of surgery, and this may require that both you and your surgeon reconsider whether the procedure is appropriate for you.

The bot***** *****ne here is that you should discuss the benefits and risks of any procedure with your doctor(s), and decide in a rational way whether the procedure makes sense. This is not a matter of whether you can convince your surgeon to do what you want-- it is a matter of collaborating with your surgeon and exchanging information to arrive at a plan of treatment that will benefit you the most.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist