Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

What is the best way to deaden a tooth to pull it.

what is the best way to deaden a tooth to pull it.
Optional Information:
Age: 50; Male, Mississippi
Already Tried:
I have all kinds of pain pills, methadone, lor tab 7.5, hydromorphone. but I need aa local to get the tooth where I can stand to pull it on out It's an eye tooth and is just dangeling. I have been taking penicillin for 4 days and infection is gone all dentist around here are closed till monday.
11/7/2008
Dr. George McKee

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

If you are talking about pulling this tooth yourself, then I must insist that you do not attempt this. Although the tooth is loose, if you manage to get it out yourself, there is a good chance you will be dealing with a situation of uncontrolled bleeding that will require a trip to the emergency room that will be more expensive than if you have it removed professionally. The local anesthetic we use to deaden the area causes the blood supply to temporarily slow down, thus allowing us to remove the tooth and control the bleeding before the full blood supply comes back. If possible, wait until your dentist returns on Monday to have this treated or look in the yellow pages under dentists and find one that offers emergency services and have the tooth remove under a controlled situation.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely,

George McKee DDS

Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist