Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

After experiencing pain in a tooth, I recently had a root…

Customer Question
After experiencing pain in a...
After experiencing pain in a tooth, I recently had a root canal. The tip of the area around the upper part of the root touching my nose is very sensitive. I had the root canal removed and checked. The dentist found nothing yet the area remains sensitive like an infection. Antibiotics help but do not eliminate the sensitive and pressure. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
10/9/2008
Dentist: Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 9 years ago
Dr Rao
Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

hi,

It would be better if you could give us some more information about your problems,

Which tooth is paining/sensitive?

When was the root canal treatment performed?

What do you mean when you say that you had the root canal removed and checked?

Has the tooth been extracted or was it root canal treated for the second time.?

What medications are you taking?

Is your tooth sensitive to touch,hot or colld foods?

The tooth is an upper tooth that my regular dentist described as Tooth No. 6.

The root canal was performed August 26, 2008.

The root canal was treated for the second time today, October 9, 2008.

The tooth is not sensitive to cold or hear ONLY at the the tip near my nose.

I have not had the tooth removed. I was hoping to avoid that.

The medication I have been taking is Erythomycyn, Strength 333 MG. It has

been prescribed to take in five (5) day increments.

Could this be some infection of the upper gum? I am really at a loss on what

is occuring.

hi,

Pain and sensitivity after a root canal treatment normally reduces after a few days.

Since you have already taken three courses of antibiotics,i donot think this is because of any infection.

The pain could be because of the root canal treatment ,itself.

It is possible that the tissues beyond the root end of the tooth were damaged /traumatized because of overinstrumentation. In this case the pain and soreness would reduce in a few days time once the tissues heal.

It is also possible that the root canal treatment was not done properly.There could be an extra canal in the root of the tooth that went unnoticed.However,this is very uncommon ,in the hands of an experienced Endodontist.

It is also possible that the tooth is cracked and is hence causing pain.

It is also possible that this pain and sensitivity is related to one or more adjacent teeth .

You need to visit your Endodontist again and get yourself examined to find out the source of the pain.

Your Xrays would reveal the presence of any root end pathology with the tooth.

Pulp vitality tests done on the adjacent tooth would help in diagnosing the source of the pain.

Your Endodontist should be able to find out the source of the pain and should treat it accordingly.

If the pain is inflammatory in nature it would reduce in a few days time ,once the tissues around the root tip heal.

If you are not satisfied with the Endodontyist,you can visit your general dentist again and discuss with him about your problems.

If the root canal was done just recently ,it would require some time to heal.

I would advice you to continue taking your medications as has been prescribed to you.

Warm salt water mouthwash would be helpful...

Pain killers can be taken to control the pain,if required...

If you problems donot reduce in a weeks time,you will have to visit your dentist again

Please let me know if you need anything...

Dr Rao
Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)