Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My top teeth are behind my bottom teeth when i close them

Customer Question
can anything be done to...
My top teeth are behind my bottom teeth when i close them can anything be done to correct this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
10/7/2008
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 9 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Dear ,

Yes.

The condition you describe is known as an "
anterior cross bite", and it is a type of bite problem that lends itself well to orthodontic treatment. Of course, there may be other aspects of your bite that do not conform well to the statistical "norm", so it is possible that orthodontic treatment prescribed for you may involve more than simply correcting the anterior cross bite. In addition, anterior cross bites may be associated with skeletal mal-relationships that require surgical rather than just orthodontic treatment, especially if the cross bite is severe and the lower jaw is significantly longer than the upper.

However, your first best thing to do would be to consult with an orthodontist, who will be able to take the full measure of your bite problem and devise a course of treatment so that your anterior cross bite can be corrected.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist