Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a salty taste in my mouth, what can i do to get rid

Customer Question
of it...
i have a salty taste in my mouth, what can i do to get rid of it
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
8/21/2008
Dentist: Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery replied 9 years ago
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery

Welcome to just answer.

Salty taste in mouth can be due to various reasons.

The most common cause is dehydration (Dry mouth) i.e. lack of inadequate water intake which leads to dehydration. Increasing the fluid intake will help in getting rid of the problem.

Salivary gland diseases such as Sjogren’s syndrome or bacterial infection of the salivary glands also sometimes suffer from salty taste in mouth. You will be needing antibiotics to get rid of the bacterial infection which will eventually lessen the severity of salty taste.

A sinus infection & tear ducts which drain into the mouth are also responsible for salty taste in mouth; medicines such as anti-thyroid drugs & chemotherapy medicines can also cause dry mouth and cause salty taste.

I will therefore recommend you to visit Oral Medicine Department in a Dental school nearby you at the earliest and get yourself properly evaluated. The experts will be able provide a better insight of the situation ,rule out the possible dental causes if any and recommend the treatment accordingly.

I hope this helps!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans

Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery