Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

What antibiotics are best to treat gm/tooth abcess, my

Customer Question

what antibiotics are best to treat gm/tooth abcess, my dentist ordered z pak isnt working
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 9 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Z-Pack or Azithromycin is in a group of drugs called macrolide antibiotics. It is mainly used to treat infections such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, and sexually transmitted diseases.

Amoxicillin is one of the first antibiotics that we prescribe for dental infections. It normally takes between 24 and 48 hours before its effects are noticeable.

Read more about this drug here
http://www.drugs.com/amoxicillin.html

If you happen to be allergic to penicillin, the second choice is Erythromycin.

Read more about this drug here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin

I would also like to emphasize the importance of combination of this drug with another antibiotic called metronidazole.

The antibiotics chosen to be given for the dental abscesses should also have broad-spectrum coverage, and therefore combination therapy may be required.

Read more about it here in a link:
http://www.bsac.org.uk/pyxis/Head_and_Neck_Infections/Dental%20sepsis/Dental%20abscess/Dental%20abscess.htm

Abscesses are frequently polymicrobial on culture, when we culture the abscess from drained material we can find that several species are isolated from the abscess. Therefore it becomes necessary to prescribe more than one antibiotic.This is to ensure that all possible causative agents will be targeted effectively.

So a combination of Metronidazole(400mg) is also given with amoxicillin (500mg ) is given for dental abscess..

Read more about this drug here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole

You can also start with warm saline rinses- A very effective way in reducing abscess /swelling is rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution- You can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate without burning the mouth,and rinse for two minutes every four hours, this will provide you relief. This will facilitate abscess drainage by softening the tissues around the infection.

I hope this helps! If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.

BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what dosages of amoxicillin and Metronidazol and on what schedule for how any days
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your reponse.

A combination of Metronidazole- 400mg along with amoxicillin -500mg capsule is usaually prescibed for 5 days.Metronidazole is given twice daily and amoxicillain dosages are supplied as 250 mg or 500mg capsule every 8th hourly ,the dosages of which depends upon the severity of infection.

So, for proper dosages and schedule i would also like you to consult your dentist before you take the following medicines.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans