Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

How does it take to get a cavity and is it possible to get a

how long does it take...
how long does it take to get a cavity and is it possible to get a cavity under a bridge
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/7/2008
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery

HelloCustomer

Thank you for question & welcome to just answer.

I will answer your query one by one!

Your 1st query- how long does it take to get a cavity?

Dental Caries or decay formation is a slow process. It does not take one day for a cavity to be formed. It’s a slow process in which demineralization of tooth surface occurs and it can take months or even years before one see’s an actual decay. The reason for such a time variation is the presence or absence of aggravating factors in one's mouth.

Dental plaque which is triggered by bad oral hygiene and other factors such as diet rich in sugar (complex carbohydrates) can easily trigger the bacteria to act on the tooth surfaces and degrade it.

Read more about it here: Read more about it here:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/tooth_decay/t3_tooth_decay_remineralization.htm

Read more about dental caries/cavities here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_caries

Coming to your second query- Is it possible to get a cavity under a bridge?

Yes it is possible to get a cavity on the area where the bridge meets the tooth. A dental bridge is difficult to keep clean. If the margins of the bridge are not sealed properly ( i.e are opened ), it allows bacteria and acid to undermine the tooth. Mostly toothbrush bristles will not reach under a bridge which triggers cavity formation and tooth decay.

I hope this answers your question. Please Feel free to contact me again for more information on this topic or if you have any doubts or related queries.

I wish you well!

Regards,

Dr.Hans

Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery