How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. George McKee Your Own Question
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1396
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. George McKee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have bone growth protruding from my gum area inside my

This answer was rated:

I have bone growth protruding from my gum area inside my mouth. What is that?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Is this on the upper or lower jaw? Is the growth on the gum next to your teeth?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
In the upper jaw area on both sides above my teeth the bones are growing outward and look very
abnormal and one area in my lower jaw area on the right inside has a bone kinda growing outward. The upper jaw area seems more pronounced
that I have noticed lately.


You have developed bony exostosis or tori in the jaw bones surrounding your teeth. These are believed to be your body's response to a strong bite or clenching and grinding habits. They are similiar to a callous, in that the extra tissue (bone) has been formed to strengthen the sockets of the teeth most susceptible to the strong biting forces. You can see photos of these here:

These can develop almost anywhere near the teeth, are benign and nothing to worry about. If they are cosmetically unpleasant for you , they can be removed by an oral surgeon.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Dr. George McKee and 2 other Dental Specialists are ready to help you