Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

WILL LEVAQUIN 750 mg broken in half work for an abscessed

WILL LEVAQUIN 750 mg broken in half work for an abscessed tooth infection prior to having a root canal next week? They already put me on clindamycin HCL 300 MG caps and that did NOT work.
i broke it in half because i heard it was very strong antibiotic

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Levaquin is an antibiotic specific for infections in the lungs and urinary tract. See:

http://www.levaquin.com/levaquin/

This is not an antibiotic that would help clear up a dental abscess as the bacteria that typically infect teeth and gums are different than the bacteria that infect lungs and urinary tracts.

FYI, no antibiotic will completely clear up your dental abscess prior to having the root canal completed. It will merely reduce the infection to a level that will enable the dentist to successfully anesthetize you for the procedure. Only when the root canal is completed will the infection completely go away.

Clindamycin is usually a good antibiotic for dental abscesses. It might take up to 48 hours for any antibiotic to start taking effect so take that into consideration. You might have a super infection, that is an infection that is resistant to antibiotics. In this situation we usually prescribe Flagyl at the same time as clindamycin (two antibiotics at the same time) to knock these infections down.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: Thank you for the fast response. I will send a very positive feedback for you. My sister gave that to me along with cipro 500 but the only issue is that I'm on disability through HP for lower back (1 surgery already + Discogram to see where pain is coming from) I'm on methadone about 60 mg per day for nerve pain and I heard cipro does not work with methadone. OR would cipro work better for tooth issues??? I just left VM for my dentist to prescribe something else to get swelling down before he does the root canal.

in short cipro not good to for tooth?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Great Advice!!! I called my dentist and got a perscription of penicillin VK 500mg Tabs. Thank You DR. George Mckee. Great work.