How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Hans Your Own Question
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 644
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr.Hans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fell and hit my mouth. My teeth are loose and sore. What

Resolved Question:

I fell and hit my mouth. My teeth are loose and sore. What should I do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 9 years ago.


Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort.

I would like you get them evaluated by dentist as soon as possible & get an x-ray & pulp vitality tests done with the same. This is to ensure that the injury/trauma or loosening of your teeth has not infected the pulp of these teeth( i.e has not damaged the pulp.)

If your tooth are just slightly loose in their socket & the pulp is not injured, it will take minimum 6 - 8 weeks or more (depending upon the severity of the blow) to get back to its position in the socket (and depends on individuals healing capacity also).

To promote faster healing and to reduce any discomfort or pain caused by the blow, the best for you will be to get Splinting done with your teeth.Splinting is a process where the teeth are joined together with the adjacent teeth,to increase their strength.See the links:

If the pulp of the involved tooth is injured than you might have to go for root canal procedure to save them followed by splinting these teeth (as mentioned above)

To lessen the soreness you can apply ice packs on the affected areas, & take any otc anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen.

I hope this answers all your questions. Feel free to contact me again for any doubts and I will be happy to explain in detail again.



Dr.Hans and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you