Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

All my teeth hurt on right hand side of face the pain comes

Customer Question
and goes but has been...
all my teeth hurt on right hand side of face the pain comes and goes but has been very intense it hurts my whole jaw and up to ear - check up at dentist said no cavaities also had an xray no problems detected
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
6/22/2008
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 9 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Cavities are not the only reason for pain. There is a possibility that one or more of your teeth are fractured, but this would have been picked up on the X rays.

Gum pain or bone pain does not usually present in the way you have outlined.

In your case, in suspect a neuralgic condition to be present.An electric intense shock like pain is charachteristic of neuralgia.

From the given description of the location of the pain, it appears that the maxillary branch of the trigeminal nerve is involved.There are various reasons for TN, the most common being a blood vessel that puts pressure on the nerve.

Please have a look at this excellent article to read more about this condition :

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/TOPIC617.HTM

A drug called Carbamezapine (Tegretol) has to be taken, first at a dose of 600 mg a day, which can be gradually increased to 1200 mg a day.Carbamezapine is a part of a a group of drugs called anticonvulsants. It works by decreasing nerve impulses that cause pain.

You can read more about it at http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-t01.html

http://www.drugs.com/tegretol.html

But let this be prescribed by a Neurologist, or by an Oral Physician or an Oral Surgeon, with experience in managing neuralgic cases.

Please be patient, do not despair. The pain is preventable.

Sometimes, the diagnosis of neuralgia has to be done in retrospect. That is if you do respond to Carbamezapine( the pain goes away) the it is confirmed that you did indeed have neuralgia.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist