Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a root canal and and crown on a top molar 6 months

Customer Question
ago. Two days ago the...
I had a root canal and and crown on a top molar 6 months ago. Two days ago the tooth developed extreme sensitivity to heat. Cold does not hurt. I visited my dentist who saw no problems on x-rays. He said to try antibiotics to see if it helps. How can I suddenly have extreme sensitivity to heat after 6 months?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dental
6/11/2008
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 9 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The reasons for the heat sensitivity could be because of the following problems associated with the root canal that you had:

1. Over instrumentation during the root canal ( going beyond the root canals)

2. Forceful irrigation ( injecting the irrigant solution which pushes it past the root canals)

3. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left , which when touched causes pain)

4. An entire root canal missed ( not picked up on an X ray)

5. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal.

Ideally root canal treatment is supposed to make the root canals sterile. Since your dentist is prescribing anitbiotics, he clearly isnt sure that the root canals of your tooth are sterile.

Sensitivity to hat generally indiactes ireversible pulpitis. I suggest you seek a seond opinion from an experienced endodontist and get the tooth evaluated.

i dont think there is a problem with the crown.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist