Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

10 days after my wisdom tooth extraction, I still can barely

10 days after my wisdom tooth extraction, I still can barely open my mouth, as the jaw pain is too great. I cannot eat solid foods. Any suggestions on how to help me?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Trismus or locked jaw is a common complication following extraction of wisdom teeth. This happens because of the trauma to the muscles from the injection directly or because of the effects of the local anesthetic solution.

You should get an oral surgeon to have a look at the degree of trismus. Also, the pain that you mention is not normal.

Although I dont suspect a dry socket, the extraction site must be evaluated to see if an infection is developing.

Till you can visit an oral surgeon, try some mouth opening exercises at home. We must keep the jaws moving so as to prevent any adhesions from developing.

Try chewing gum and also try this sepcific exercise:

For 10 seconds strectch your mouth open to the maximum position possible. Do this 10 times a day.

Please see an oral surgeon at the earliest.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Also, for the pain, start analgesic medication like Ketorolac, which is a stronger analgesic, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorolac at

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Behere's Post: My surgeon said the site looks good. I can't chew soft food so I don't think I can chew gum. I will try to open my mouth a little for 10 seconds as you suggest but I can't even open it enough to get a toothbrush in. Should i continue to ice or use warm compresses. Thank you for trying to help me.
That is a big relief. That rules out a dry socket whioch is a very bad complication. From what you say, you are having a severe degree of trismus.

Continuing with ice compresses will not cause any harm.

But please get the oral surgeon to evalute the trismus. Mostly, he will tell you to just be patient, as these conditons return to normal over a period of time.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.