Dental

Can I seek legal action against a dentist whose license has…

Customer Question
Can I seek legal action...
Can I seek legal action against a dentist whose license has been indefinitely suspended in Georgia for work he failed to complete regarding extractions and dentures?... Read full answer
Can I seek legal action against a dentist whose license has been indefinitely suspended in Georgia for work he failed to complete regarding extractions and dentures?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dental
4/22/2008
Dentist: Dr. George McKee, Dentist replied 11 years ago
Dr. George McKee

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. This is a very good question. The situation that all dentists are legally responsible for is the care of their patients. If treatment is initiated and then not completed, the dentist can be accused of patient abandonment. However, if treatment is not initiated, he is not legally obliged to start treatment that was planned. So the key here is if your treatment had been initiated. A dentist can not terminate treatment in the middle of a root canal or in the temporary phase of making crowns or in the middle of making a denture. The fact that his license has been suspended adds another layer of complexity to the matter. He is not legally allowed to practice and can not be expected to break the law to finish any dentistry he started. He should be legally obliged to see that another dentist take over and finish any treatment he was in the middle of. However, he is not obliged (or legally allowed) to start any planned dental treatment. Give me more information as to the stage in you treatment you are in with respect to the extractions and dentures and if you have paid for any of this so far and I can elaborate.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely,

George McKee DDS

Dr. George McKee
The dentist in question extracted all my teeth and made 2 complete set of dentures. I have paid $2,000.00 towards my dentures which was my portion to pay. I was told that the initial set of dentures that were made prior to my extractions had become too old and couldn't be used. In light of that I still ended up with both set of dentures after adjustments were made on both sets. If the original set of dentures were too old to be used, then why after a period of three months would they then make adjustments on those original dentures and send me home with them when I originally left them with the new set of dentures for adjustments.
Thank you very much, your advice was very helpful indeed. ..
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I just returned from my visit with my dentist, and I do need
Good evening, I just returned from my visit with my dentist, and I do need extensive work. I am really down to two choices, one, have my front teeth extracted, and get a partial that will clip to the … read more
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Practicing Dental Surgeon,
On Friday, February 20, I had a dental consult regarding a
On Friday, February 20, I had a dental consult regarding a tooth extraction. Instead of only one tooth to be extracted, he suggested that all my upper teeth needed a lot of work. He suggested pulling … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Yellow puss from holes. Extractions on whole upper for
Yellow puss from holes. Extractions on whole upper for dentures on october 4th. Holes not closed, dentures excruciating to put on, red and swollen on whole gum, red flesh in holes swelling out. Infect… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Stop searching for answers—
My question has to do with what I can reasonably expect from
My question has to do with what I can reasonably expect from a dentist with regard to dentures. Beginning in 2009 I received partials and crowns, both upper and lower. The partials were well made and … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
DDS, please do not close this as a follow-up question. You
For Mark Bornfeld, DDS, please do not close this as a follow-up question. Hello. You seem to be the most helpful with my denture issues. I can't tell you how much I regret getting them. Fully regret n… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I am seeking a dental oncologist. My father has cancer with
I am seeking a dental oncologist. My father has cancer with the primary site at the back of the tongue, right side. Now to the oncologist dentist is recommending removal of all lower jaw (mandible) te… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
May i know whether it is Ethical & Right for a Dentist whom
Hi , may i know whether it is Ethical & Right for a Dentist whom i went for an extraction & in the course of the procedure "broke & fractures my adjacent tooth's bone socket ......& telling me as his … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Last week my dentist took out the wrong tooth.It had been
Last week my dentist took out the wrong tooth.It had been causing problems so my dentist recommendid that it be taken out and added to the partial denture that I had just had made. After she had pulle… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a slight over bite before my dentures, which did not
I had a slight over bite before my dentures, which did not cause chewing problems. but now the gap makes it hard to bite, like spaghetti. I have had 2 soft liner appts. I do not see the doctor and the… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
My 86 yr old diabetic Dad is mentally reluctant to extract
My 86 yr old diabetic Dad is mentally reluctant to extract his remaining 5 upper front teeth. In his logic, he is determined that he will find someone who can create a partial denture while also keepi… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a question regarding my father whom has had a stroke
Hi I had a question regarding my father whom has had a stroke and is on warfarin. He is having his last remaining three bottom teeth extracted next week and I am wondering if it is possible to have bo… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I have just had all my teeth removed as I will be getting 10
I have just had all my teeth removed as I will be getting 10 implants fitted in three months time - the top denture is fine but the bottom one very loose fitting and causing immense pain and sores beg… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Stop searching for answers—
My fiance needs his tooth extracted now! He's in terrible
My fiance needs his tooth extracted now! He's in terrible pain and can barely eat or sleep. The dentists refuse to extract the infected tooth because he only has a few teeth left, and they want him to… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I am a 58 yr old woman. I had my Wisdon teeth extracted when
I am a 58 yr old woman. I had my Wisdon teeth extracted when in my 20's. I also have had to have 3 other back teeth extracted, including 1 today. I have 2 broken teeth, and my enamile looks to be wear… read more
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Dentist,
I have all crowns upper with about 8 natural teeth on the
I have all crowns upper with about 8 natural teeth on the bottom. I use a partial and have used one for 25 years approx. The problem is that no one told me the life of a crown is about 10 years. Most … read more
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Dentist,
I have been with my dentist for over a year now. Prior to
Good Morning, I have been with my dentist for over a year now. Prior to finding him, I had some traumatic work done by a "questionable dentist". At the time that I had the work done, I had been laid o… read more
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Dentist,
I had my teeth extracted 8/25/08 due to a medical problem.
I had my teeth extracted 8/25/08 due to a medical problem. The dentist I was referred to for dentures used a set he had already made for someone else,(just re-lined them), then didn't notice for over … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Can i get teeth pull and put back in the same day at a
DearCustomer Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. Most dentists can offer the service you are asking about. These are called immediate dentures or immediate partial dentures. You mu… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,